There are a number of outdoor actives one can indulge in. Outdoors not only provides you solitude but also connects you with nature at its best. Therefore it is not uncommon for people to escape into the heart of nature for any spare time they get. The number of outdoor activities is also unlimited. Among others, a number of people choose fishing as they ultimate hobby or the perfect outdoor activity. On a daily basis, many people go on fishing trips with their families or friends.
Some even escape the bust city lie just to spend some time peacefully. When you are a fishing enthusiast, the one single piece of equipment which makes the whole trip worthwhile is your fishing rod. A fishing rod is your weapon when you are hunting. A good fishing rod ensures that you can reel in your catch at the right moment without a hitch.
A faulty one can mess up at the most important event. A good fishing rod can be useful for a regular hiker as well. Even if you are not a fishing enthusiast, a good fishing rod in a camper’s bag is useful equipment. You can fish your food if it seems necessary. This way you can always find something to eat when you are on your camping trip. If you are thinking of buying a fishing rod before the season, there are a few things to keep in mind before the purchase.
- 1 How To Choose Best Backpacking Fishing Rods For The Money
- 2 Top 10 Backpacking Fishing Rods In India
- 3 Best Backpacking Fishing Poles In India Reviews
- 3.1 1) DRAGONtail Shadowfire 365 12′ Tenkara Fly Fishing Rod
- 3.2 2) Wild Water Tenkara Fly Fishing Rod Combo 12′ Fly Rod Complete Starter Package
- 3.3 3) M MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Tenkara Rod Telescoping Carbon Fly Fishing Pole with Storage Tube: 10ft/11ft/12ft/13ft
- 3.4 4) Eagle Claw TMM66S4C Trailmaster Spinning Combo 6’6″ Length, 4 Pieces, Medium Power
- 3.5 5) Sougayilang Fishing Rod – 24 Ton Carbon Fiber, Portable Telescopic Super Hard Ultralight Fishing Pole for Travel Surf Saltwater Freshwater Bass Boat Fishing
- 3.6 6) Daiwa Mini System Mini spin Ultralight Spinning Reel and Rod Combo in Hard Carry Case
- 3.7 7) JEKOSEN Portable Travel Casting/Spinning Bass Fishing Rods with Tube Case Lightweight Carbon Fiber Fishing Pole
- 3.8 8) Okuma VS-605-20 Voyager Spinning Travel Kit
- 3.9 9) Ugly Stik USCA662MH Casting Rod
- 3.10 10) St Croix Triumph Travel Spinning Rods
- 4 Additional Information
- 5 FAQ’s
- 6 Final Verdict
How To Choose Best Backpacking Fishing Rods For The Money
Fishing can be really pricy. While some buys don’t have a price limit, many have a limited budget. However, you can get a good rod even within your budget range. A number of factors determine the price of a good fishing rod. Size and brand are the toppers of the pricy list. The next factor is the material and the design and features of the rod. You can compare the prices online and then decide on the one which suits your needs and your wallet.
This factor is certainly applicable if you are a camper. You require equipment which is lightweight so that it doesn’t restrict your mobility. The same applies to your fishing rod. However, if that is not the case, then the weight can be a secondary factor.
- Type of rod:
This is one of the most important factors to consider before buying. There are three types of rods available. Backpacking spinning rods with reel seat and line guides are along the bottom of the rod. For these, spinning reels are used. Next is casting a rod that uses a baitcasting reel.
Along the top of the rod, you have line guides and a reel seat. Lastly, we have the Tenkara rods which are a good option for mobile campers. They are long and lightweight fishing rod that has a short, fixed length of the line fixed to the end of the rod.
- Power of the rod:
As per the power of the fishing rod, it refers to the weight the rod can take up to reel in your catch. The rod can surely bend. But it should be able to sustain the weight without breaking. Based on the ability of the rod for handling weight, they are divided into four categories: ultra-light, light, medium and heavy.
- Type of reel:
There are two types of reels, spinning reel, and baitcasting reel. Spinning reels are a bit bulkier which makes them unsuitable for camping and hiking. The reels sit upside-down under the rod making them easy to use. Over the years, they can cause a kink in the line.
The second type is called the baitcasting reel. If you are a novice, these are unsuitable for you as they are harder to use. However, if you are experiencing, these are a good option for hiking or camping as they are lighter than the spinning reel.
- The ration between the reel and the gear:
The gear reel ratio determines how quickly you can pull back in the line. It also determines the power as it affects how easily you are pulling the heavier fish back in. you may not find the exact ratio with a rod set. When you are backpacking, you won’t need a really high rod to reel ratio as you will be fishing smaller fishes.
Top 10 Backpacking Fishing Rods In India
Best Backpacking Fishing Poles In India Reviews
Dragontail shadow fire gives you the option to either buy the rod or the whole kit set. As for the rod, it is a 12′ Tenkara Rod and weighs 2.9oz. The 10 graphite makes it lightweight yet sturdy. It is designed to reel in small to medium size fish. It is easy to set up and use. With reel no, you can rig up quickly and just start fishing. It works just fine without fly fishing gears.
The eight segmented rods have a reel to the gear ratio of 6:4. This rod is a good option for campers and hikers. It collapses to 23.25″. You can easily fir it in your backpack and the general purpose of the tenkara rod is for travels. Even though it is very lightweight, it can even help you to reel in a larger trout. The package includes a Rod Tube and Sock.
- This fishing rod is collapsible
- It is easy to set up
- It is a good option for hikers and campers
- It is lightweight
- It works without fishing gear
- It is strong
- It includes Universal & Regular Tip Cap
- It has Swivel Tip Lillian
- The price is on the higher side
- It is not designed for bigger fishes
- The braided line sinks
- The grip needs extra support
This is a tenkara fishing rod combo. The rod is 12” with 9 sections and weighs 3.4 ounces. It has a removable laser etched butt cap to remove rod sections and a 10” long cork handle. It is easy to travel with as the rod is collapsible with the plugs in the rod sections.
The collapsed length is 20 ½ inches. The Tenkara Line is 10 ½’ chartreuse furled nylon line with a metal ring to attach tippet. The packing of this rod is really good. It has double protection with the cloth bag and a 22 ½” hard tube rod case. The case even has a ring handle and a carrying strap. This set is suitable for small to medium size fishes.
You get a total of 12 fly: Black Sakasa Kebari, size 12 (qty. 2), Olive Sakasa Kebari, size 12 (qty. 2), Tan Killer Kebari, size 12 (qty. 2), Black Killer Kebari, size 12 (qty. 2), Hi-Vis Orange Indicator Kebari (qty. 2), size 12, and Tan Hen and Hound, size 12 (qty. 2).
The additional accessories include 1 foam line storage spool, 2 line black plastic line storage clips and bands, 1 retractable zinger, 1 spool of 5X tippet, 1 line nipper with nail knot tying tool and poker for cleaning out the eyes of fly hooks and our fly fishing starter package reference guide.
- It is lightweight
- It is easily collapsible
- It has double protection packing
- It includes a ton of accessories and flies
- It is good for backpacking
- It is a bit hard to set up
- You need to read the instructions carefully to set it up
- The line supply is a bit small
3) M MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Tenkara Rod Telescoping Carbon Fly Fishing Pole with Storage Tube: 10ft/11ft/12ft/13ft
This rod is made out of IM8+10 carbon fiber material. The material makes the rod lightweight while keeping it sturdy. You can even fish for a bigger catch like trout with this. The Casting is designed to be very intuitive so that it is easy to handle. The rod collapses to a 21.3″ inch, making it easier to fit in your backpack. This, in turn, provides you high mobility with 9 sections.
The ratio of the reel and the gear is 7:3. The lightweight quality not only makes it easier to carry around but also makes it easier for casting. You have five models to choose from depending on the length of the fish you are fishing for. The rod also features an 11.75″ long AA-grade cork handles for added comfort. However, your hands can get a bit tired of holding too long. The Rod tube and sock are included with the pack
- It is easy to handle
- It comes with a solid package
- The handle is easy to grip
- It is collapsible
- It is available in five sizes
- It comes with a rotating Lilian
- It is a bit on the heavier side
- The tip is a bit stiff
- The casing is average
- It is more suitable for casting in small waters
- It is not as sturdy
This fishing rod is divided into four pieces for easy packing. It is suitable for camping as well as it is also easy to carry around. With an exclusive travel case, the rod can be easily carried over your shoulder. The rod is a medium Power and has IM-7 Complex Composite Blank. When fully assembled, the rod measures 6.6” inches.
The best part about this product is the grip it provides. It features a comfortable contoured cork handle with durable rubber and cork foregrip. This ensures that you have the master grip when you are reeling in your catch. There is a beautifully engraved bronze reel seat and solid, screw-in hardware for secure connections.
- It is easy to the pact
- It collapses in 4 pieces
- It comes with a travel bag
- It has a good grip
- The design is good
- The case design is a bit off
- The construction is a bit flimsy
- The rod is not very sturdy
5) Sougayilang Fishing Rod – 24 Ton Carbon Fiber, Portable Telescopic Super Hard Ultralight Fishing Pole for Travel Surf Saltwater Freshwater Bass Boat Fishing
This rod is also available in a number of sizes so you can choose the one as per your needs. The rod is constructed out of High Density 24 Ton Carbon Fiber and E-Glass Composite. The design not only makes it lightweight but also provides you with great balance and less fatigue. Saltwater fishing can cause corrosion to your rod. The reel seat is made out of corrosion-resistant CNC Machined Aluminum which protects your rod from corrosion over the years.
You can use it with the braided or mono fishing line because of the three-point welded stainless steel guides with ceramic inserts. Because it is lightweight and easy to fit the rod is suitable for campers or hikers as well. You can also store it easily. You also get a good grip because of the ergonomic high-density EVA grips. However, the carrying case for this rod can be a better one.
- It is lightweight
- It has a good grip
- It is suitable for saltwater fishing
- It is corrosion resistant
- It can be used with both braided and mono fishing line
- It is available in a number of sizes
- The carrying case can be better
- The handle is too long
- It is not very stable
- It is not very sturdy
- It is more suitable for small waters
This ultra-light utility comes with MS-S500T reel with smooth, ball-bearing drive and multi-disc drag encased in a compact hard case. It is also equipped with 5.1-to-1 retrieve, Gyro Spin balancing, and Twist Buster line twist reduction. The product has matching 4.5-foot, five-piece ultralight rod for two-to-six-pound test lines and 0.0625-to-0.25-ounce lures.
The size is perfect to be stowed away in luggage. The case also comes with extra compartments. The body is built using aluminum alloy. There is no terminal tackle included. The product is a lightweight one that can be tucked in your backpack for easy mobility. The rod comes with a warranty provided by the company.
- It is lightweight
- The carrying case is sturdy
- It has a good balance
- It is easy to draw in the lure
- It can be folded in smaller pieces
- It doesn’t twist easily
- It can be a bit tricky to assemble
- It is more suitable for small fishes
- The carrying case is a bit bulky
- The segments need to be aligned multiple times
7) JEKOSEN Portable Travel Casting/Spinning Bass Fishing Rods with Tube Case Lightweight Carbon Fiber Fishing Pole
This fishing rod is very easy to carry around. The actual rod weighs only 4.3 oz. The lure weight ranges between 0.35-0.88 oz. the rod has good strength and stability because of the Strong Solid Carbon Fiber Construction. The virtual friction-free line flow gives you maximum casting because of the high quality ceramic guide set. The li8nes feeds through and runs back freely which provides you with more sensitivity.
The reel seats are made of nylon which gives it a solid base and comfort throughout the day. With a tree piece design, the rod is easy to assemble and carry around even for hikers and campers. It has good water resistance with a high-density EVA foam handle and a cork anti-wear protective pad. With a 12 month warranty, you are set for a good deal.
- It provides medium power
- It is compact
- The carrying case is travel-friendly
- The rod itself is lightweight
- It has a comfortable grip
- It has good water resistance
- There are a number of choices to choose from
- It is a bit faint for transferring the feel of the bottom
- It has a thin taper on the tip section
- The ferrules are oversized.
- It is a bit of a hassle to set up
The Okuma VS-605-20 Voyager Spinning Travel Kit is specially designed for travelers. The convenient nylon bad wit straps are designed so that you can easily take it anywhere. This fishing rod features a shock-resistant foam insert. The corrosion-resistant graphite frame features a ball-bearing drive system inside. The machine cut brass pinion gear comes with a one-piece anodized aluminum spool.
One of the special features of this reel is that you can handle it from both sides. It doesn’t matter if you are left-handed or right-handed or simply want to switch hands. The 6 food rod is divided into 5 segments. The comfortable cork grip ensures that you have a comfortable grip throughout the day. Other accessories include a tackle box.
- This is a full set
- It is a corrosion-resistant rod
- It is traveler-friendly
- The handle has left- to right-hand retrieve feature
- It has a comfortable grip
- It has Stainless steel hooded reel seats
- It has One-piece anodized aluminum spool
- The whole case is on the heavier side
- The overall quality is a lit low
- The reel is not very good
- The anti-reverse is of average quality
This fishing rod feels way lighter than it actually is. It is already lightweight and provides a good balance. You do have to worry about your arms getting tired while you wait for the long hours because of the Lightweight EVA grips. Constructed out of a combination of graphite and fiberglass, this rod is virtually indestructible blank. It only means that it is super sturdy.
You get good responsiveness and strength from the clear tip design. However, this may not be the best option for a backpacker as it is not collapsible. It is a 1 piece that does not require you to set up. It is a good choice for anglers of all skill levels. You can use any type of line, including braid and can be used for both fresh and saltwater.
- It can accommodate any kind of line
- It can be used for all waters
- It is easy to assemble
- It is sturdy
- Anyone can use it
- It has an easy grip
- It is not collapsible
- It will be difficult to carry around
- There is no reel included
This fishing rod also doesn’t include a reel. However, you get a number of choices to choose from depending on the weight of the fish. Every rod is a four-piece product which is fully collapsible. The package includes a convenient carrying bag. It is Ideal for savvy anglers. The rod is constructed out of Premium quality SCII graphite and features hard aluminum-oxide guides with black frames.
With a five year warranty, you can assure that you will get a quality product. This product is useful for freshwater fishing. The product features a premium-grade cork handle. The mid-modulus graphite fiber provides a higher strain rate. The fishing rod features good power and can be used for heavier fishes.
- It is good for travels
- It is fully collapsible
- It is really sturdy
- It has a higher strain rate
- The rod has good power
- It is good for heavy fishes
- The piece is a bit higher
- The quality of the carrier can be better
- It is only suitable for freshwater fishing
- The reel is not included
When you are investing in a fishing rod, it is better to invest in better quality. It is not like you will use it on a daily basis. So the amount of damage while using it will remain minimal. It is also important that you don’t abuse thro d beyond its capacity.
Make sure to take care of your fishing rod. Like any gear or equipment, good care can ensure that the fishing rod lasts you longer. If your rod doesn’t include a reel, you can buy it separately. After all, the actual rod needs to be sturdy for any reeling. You can look up online to know reel suites your rod the best.
Fishing is more of a hobby for most people. Therefore, investing in a good rod is never going to be waste. A good rod can stretch your field of option and help you grow your fishing skills without restricting you. Of course like every sport, you can start with the basics and then climb up the ladder.
The same goes for campers and hikers. There are a number of fishing rods available for camping and hiking. Keep an eye out for the best deal and you might even fall in love with fishing itself. Enjoy your outdoor times!