Water from untreated sources (like streams, lakes, and tanks, etc.) contain harmful bacteria, pathogens, and toxins and can be purified to be made safe for consumption by the help of Portable Water Filters. These devices don’t take up much space, are easily transported and don’t require much maintenance also.
Sometimes it’s hard to figure out if water is actually clean and safe as there are cases where the clearest water may contain a million parasites. Consumption of contaminated water can cause many water-borne diseases like Cholera, Typhoid and Diarrhea, etc. In order to avoid such diseases people who don’t have access to clean water (campers, hikers, military personnel and survivalists, etc.) use Portable Water Filters to purify water from untreated sources they come across.
So how do water filters work? Pretty simple, water filters are equipped with a substance cartridge which traps tiny particles such as debris and other harmful bacteria and protozoa and pours out odorless, clean water. One thing you should keep in mind is that recurrent use clogs the filter and it must be cleaned or replaced regularly.
- 1 Few Things to Consider Before Buying Best Water Filter
- 2 Top 10 Water Filter
- 3 Best Water Filter Reviews
- 3.1 #1 MSR Guardian Purifier
- 3.2 #2 SteriPen Ultra
- 3.3 #3 Platypus GravityWorks 4 L Complete Water Filter Kit
- 3.4 #4 Katadyn Hiker Pro Transparent Water Microfilter
- 3.5 #5 Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System
- 3.6 #6 Aquamira – Chlorine Dioxide Water Treatment Two Part Liquid
- 3.7 #7 LifeStraw Personal Water Filter
- 3.8 #8 GRAYL Ultralight Water Purifier
- 3.9 #9 Katadyn Vario Water Filter
- 3.10 #10 Survivor Filter PRO
- 4 FAQs
- 5 CONCLUSION
Related Post – Best Camping High Chair Reviews
Top 10 Water Filter
Best Water Filter Reviews
Portable water filters are one of the fruits of modern inventions. There are different models of filters available in the market ranging from straw filters to UV filters. In this article, we have included 10 of the best portable water filters available in the market for you to choose from.
MSR Guardian Purifier comes with a nice storage bag for you to carry and also helps in drying out the filter once you’re done using it. The Guardian Purifier is equipped with a tube that you unwrap from the filter and you pump the handle that’s equipped with the filter. It’s an easy operation, has very minimum efforts.
You simply have to throw one end of the tube in the water source, screw on a water bottle to the bottom part of the purifier that is equipped with a dimple that can be attached to any water bottle, and then start pumping away to get purified water.
- Has a very simple Design
- Is Very Durable, you can drop it from up to 6 feet and it will withstand it
- The filter has a capacity of 10,000 liters of water
- The operation is very easy
- Pumps at least 2.5 liters of water per minute
- Its replaceable filter can be bought or ordered online
- Comes with a floatable pump feature which allows you to collect water from a water source that is situated far from you
- Other alternatives are lighter than Guardian Purifier
- The tube gets wet after pumping water, thus you’ll have to carry a wet hose along with you
- The pump doesn’t have an adapter or hose equipped with the dimple at the bottom and so is difficult to fill in bottles with a narrow neck
- The tubes are just 4 feet, could have been longer.
- The float isn’t movable and cannot be detached
This device charges with the use of a USB. It is equipped with a UV light and you can set it to sterilize over 5 liters of water with just a click of a button. It kills all protozoans, bacteria, and viruses. It’s very simple to use, you have to press the power button (once for 1 liter twice for 2) and place it in a narrow neck water bottle. Then stir the pen through the water to sterilize it.
Once the pen is in the water a countdown will appear on the display screen. It takes almost 50 seconds to purify 500 milliliters and 90 seconds to purify 1 liter. When the water has been sterilized the pen will show a smiley face on the display screen which means that the water is sterilized and is now ready for consumption.
- The rubber seal won’t allow any water to leak out
- Much affordable than the best pump filter – MSR Guardian Purifier
- Lightweight at just 0.29 pounds
- Uses UV light rays for purification. UV rays destroy 99.99% of protozoans.
- Great choice for backcountry water purification
- You can use your power bank to charge the pen in case you run out of charge
- Very sturdy and durable
- Very easy to operate as it requires no manual work like squeezing or pumping etc.
- Is Battery Operated (not a good option if you’re traveling long distances)
- UV purifiers don’t work in sediment-laden or murky water
- Won’t remove any particles
- The glass bulb is pretty fragile
- Under harsh sunlight, you cannot tell if it’s working
Related Post – Best Inflatable Lounger Reviews
This water filter kit comes with a;
- Dirty water reservoir
- Hose for the dirty water reservoir
- Clean water hose attached with a hose clamp
- An attachment to attach it to the clean water reservoir
- GravityWorks filter and
- Carrying case
In just about 2 and a half minutes this water filter can filter 4 liters of water. It can filter out particulates, bacteria, and protozoa but it is not effective against viruses. It’s pretty simple to use, fill up water in the dirty water reservoir, connect the filter between the dirty water reservoir and clean water reservoir with the use of their respective hoses, just hang it from a tree (hang the dirty water reservoir higher than the clean water reservoir) and then take off the shut off valve. The gravity will filter the water in just a few minutes.
- Filters a good amount of water in a short period of time
- Platypus reservoirs are treated with antimicrobial slime guard finish on the inside giving you utmost protection
- Has a snap closure on the top of the reservoir
- Reservoirs are easy to differentiate apart
- The filter has a nice big graphics to show the flow of direction of the water so as to reduce confusion
- Needs a large amount of clean source of water
- Needs extra care to be taken so as to prevent the filter from freezing
- Taking water from the source means you’ll have to get your hands cold and wet
- If dirty reservoir hose and clean reservoir hose are kept together then this might cause cross-contamination, therefore its best to store them apart
Katadyn is very useful in terms of removing tahttps://amzn.to/2HOWsilste or bad odor from water from untreated sources. Comes with a storage set which is really nice and is pretty lightweight so you won’t have any problems while you’re traveling long distances. If you have any multiple people along with you then this portable water filter is best as you’ll get more filtration in a quicker period of time, filling up multiple bottles in just a few minutes.
It’s a pump style filter, coming with an outline hose which you hook it up to your bottle, quick connectors, stone or large particle filter, inlet hose and a little float. Once you connect all parts and set up your filter, take the hose end with the float and throw it down the water source, attach the outlet hose to any bottle and start pumping the filter.
- Has a universal bottle adapter that fits all hydration containers
- With the help of quick connectors, it provides compatibility with many hydration containers
- Very lightweight
- Cost efficient
- Very Durable
- Equipped with activated-carbon which is useful to keep water safe from harmful chemicals and toxins
- Cannot handle extremely dirty water
- After a few uses pump may become resistant
- Requires cleaning the filter more often
- Quick connectors are fragile
- Other alternatives are more durable
This portable water filter is pretty small and easy to carry. It basically is a syringe and can provide up to filtration of 100,000 gallons of water. With the help of this syringe, you can attach a straw and drink straight out of a water source or you can connect a dirty water hydration pack and filter the water and drink it.
It’s pretty simple to use, fill up the hydration pack with dirty water, screw the filter on the pack and once it’s secure squeeze the water out of the pack into a bottle or drinks right out of it.
- Useful in removing E-coli, amoebic cysts, giardia from the untreated water
- Small, lightweight, easy to carry anywhere
- Can work faster if the water is previously pre-filtered so it doesn’t get blocked
- Very durable
- Best for the long run
- Customers have reported leaks as the filter fails to seal the pack properly
- The material of the water bag isn’t strong enough
- Bad chances of purchasing the filter with factory defects
Related Post – Best Electric Smoker Under 200 and 300 Dollars
Keep in mind that this is Chlorine Dioxide and should not be confused with Chlorine and bleach etc. This product is friendly for backpackers, survivalists, and bushcrafters, etc. There are two bottles present in the pack as there are two parts to the process. Each bottle weighs an ounce.
Part A bottle is the neutralizer and Part B bottle is the Activator. Pour 7 drops of Part A and 7 drops of Part B into the mixing cap provided with the pack and let it activate for a few minutes, once the fluid turns a fluorescent color it means it is ready to be poured into 1 liter of water and wait for another 5 minutes.
- Kills odor causing bacteria
- Enhances the taste of stores portable water
- These liquids have a shelf life of 4 years
- Filter capacity of 30 gallons of water
- Leaves no After taste
- Easy to use
- Cost efficient
- Chance of leakage
- Doesn’t get rid of sediment or debris
- Might not be antiseptic
- Two ingredients must stand for 35 min before use
LifeStraw removes over 99.99% of waterborne bacteria and protozoan parasites. It is a good tool to have in your camping kit. The LifeStraw needs to be primed before use as in it needs to be submerged in water for a while so that the whole filtration system can get moistened.
It doesn’t require any efforts in setting up as it is a basically just one piece. It is also pretty simple to use, take water from the source in a container, open up the lids of the LifeStraw, place it in the untreated water that you’ve collected and used the LifeStraw just like a plain straw by sucking the water.
It is important to note that while LifeStraw is effective against particulates and debris, it should never be used on an untreated water source where industrial toxic can be present.
- Clean drinking water can be made available anywhere anytime
- Has a long shelf life
- Very lightweight
- Reduces bad taste
- Reduces lead and heavy metal
- Can be used in muddy stagnant water also
- May crack in freezing temperatures
- Cannot be washed in a dishwasher
- Cannot use this product to purify salt water
- Cannot be used in swimming pool water as it contains chlorine
Related Post – Best Hammock Sleeping Pad Reviews
GRAYL has a complete flip to the filtration system, it is different from the usual filters as you’re not forcing the water through the filter but rather you’re collecting the water and forcing the filter through the water. The manufacturers have come up with a different thought process and the best part is that these filters are replaceable.
The filtration process is simple as it gets, fill water from an untreated source till the marked point in the silicone bottle, nestle the bottle onto a sturdy place, take the filter and clean water component, gather your body weight and push down the filter. The purified water will now be collected in the bottle now.
- Super lightweight
- Quickly purifies water
- Purifying Plus Filtration Process
- Sleek design
- Removes odor and flavor
- You need a sturdy place to keep the silicone bottle when you’re pushing the filter down or else it’s difficult to do the process
- The capacity of the bottle is a little less
- Needs a good amount of strength to push down the filter
This is a powerful little filter system that is most suitable for solo backpacking or small groups. It has a neat design allowing you to change the way you filter depending upon the quality of your water source. Has a more reliable filtration system.
There are two pumps present in the main cartridge, this simply means that you will get water flowing through the system using the downwards stroke as well was the upwards stroke. Katadyn allows you to adjust the type of filtration you want – either you can choose a faster flow or a longer life by adjusting the internal units of this component.
It is quite simple to use as well, just throw one end of the tube in the water source, screw on a water bottle to the bottom part of the purifier and pump until the desired amount reached.
- Has 2 modes, which is something unique
- Has a replaceable carbon core
- Contains Activated carbon to remove bad taste and odor
- Provides continuous water flow with minimal effort
- The handle can seem a little fragile
- Needs to be dismantled and cleaned regularly
- Not that lightweight
- Other alternatives are cheaper
Survivor Filter PRO comes with a container cup, inlet hose contained in a little plastic bag, a carry case, an outlet hose, the box also provides one spare inlet part for the filter. The main part of the filter is made up of plastic and it reduces weight. The filtration capability of this filter is 0.01 microns.
Whether the source is moving water or stagnant like a lake, throw the inlet hose towards the source, start pumping it a few times to get air out of the flow coming out of the pump, place the outlet hose inside a water bottle and pump as necessary.
- Can be used during hiking, camping, hunting, and fishing, etc.
- Replaceable filters can be bought or ordered online easily
- Reduces particulates
- Improves the taste of water
- Removes bad odor
- Cost efficient
- As the whole body is made of plastic it isn’t much durable
- Too large if you’re going on a solo trip
- The company which manufactures the product isn’t much known
- Can be frozen during cold temperatures
- Flimsy hand pump
Related Post – Best Survival Knife Under 100 Dollars
Once you have noted down your budget, particular features and weight etc. buying a water filter won’t be that much of a pain in the neck. We hope this article has given you a little insight regarding portable water filters suiting your personal situation. We also hope you travel in style without having to worry about getting yourself or your loved ones sick. Happy Travelling!