It doesn’t matter what time of year it is, hiking pants are always a must-have for any hiker. They keep you dry in wet weather and protect your skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays. Best hot weather hiking pants has created an excellent pair of hot weather hiking pants that offer comfort and protection on every adventure!
Hiking pants are generally made of nylon, which allows them to remain lightweight and dry very quickly, and make them the ideal fit for hiking and similar activities in the great outdoors. In fact, there are also some types of hiking pants, which are actually ‘convertible hiking pants’, which can double up as super comfy hiking shorts, simply by zipping the pant legs off.
- 1 Top 10 Best Hot Weather Hiking Pants
- 2 Best Hot Weather Hiking Pants Reviews
- 2.1 1) 5.11 Tactical Men’s Taclite Pro Lightweight Performance Pants
- 2.2 2) ZOOMHILL Men’s Pro Hiking Stretch Pants
- 2.3 3) Fjallraven-Men’s Abisko Lite Trekking Trousers
- 2.4 4) FREE SOLDIER Outdoor Men Teflon Scratch-Resistant Pants
- 2.5 5) HARD LAND Men’s Hiking Pants
- 2.6 6) Men’s Hiking Stretch Pants
- 2.7 7) Wespornow Men’s-Hiking-Pants
- 2.8 8) Columbia Men’s Silver Ridge Cargo Pants
- 2.9 9) Little Donkey Andy Men’s Lightweight Pants
- 2.10 10) MAGCOMSEN Men’s Hiking Pants
- 3 Hiking Pants & Their Benefits
- 4 Things to Consider when Buying Hot Weather Hiking Pants
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 6 Conclusion
Top 10 Best Hot Weather Hiking Pants
To help you buy your perfect pair of summer hiking pants, we have prepared a detailed review of some of the best products available on the market, along with the pros and cons of each, to help you make an informed decision while buying.
Best Hot Weather Hiking Pants Reviews
5.11 Tactile is well known for providing good quality pants, and this product is made from a high-quality blend of polyester and cotton (35% poly cotton and 65% polyester), and using a triple-stitch and ripstop technique, which provides it good mechanical strength and reduces the chances of rips and tears. A protective finish is provided by a coating of Teflon, which keeps these pants resistant to moisture, soil, and stains, but still allows breathability. Cleaning is also easy because of this coat.
Maximum flexibility and comfort are provided by the gusseted inseam and well-fitted appearance. It also has a number of pockets (eight to be precise), which also includes strap-and-slash seat pockets and two cargo pockets, allowing for an excellent storage capacity.
28W×30L; 28W×32L; 28W×34L; 28W×36L; 30W×30L; 30W×32L; 30W×34L; 30W×36L; 32W×30L; 32W×32L; 32W×34L; 32W×36L; 34W×30L; 34W×32L; 34W×34L; 34W×36L and more.
- Good number and size of pockets
- Teflon coat improves resistance
- Good flexibility and space
- Noticeable color fading
- Quality is not as good as claimed
What makes this product ideal for outdoor use is the strong TC shell fabric, which makes it waterproof. The nylon material in the knees and hips stretches four ways, providing a high degree of flexibility, along with good strength and great comfort.
The knee design has been articulated, making movement easy. The pant legs carry additional ventilation zippers, allowing for the removal of unnecessary heat. Size adjustment is made possible by the presence of adjustable waist and bottom tabs.
S, M, L, XL, XXL, 3XL
- Water-resistance is provided by the TC shell fabric
- The flexibility provided by the adjustable waist and bottom tabs, special knee design, and stretchable material
- Despite the stretchable size, finding the right fit is difficult
- Doesn’t have any back pockets.
Their lightweight nature makes these pants a very comfortable option for the outdoors. They remain reasonably cool during use and are perfect for hiking days that are too hot. These pants are made of a four-way stretchable material, which is strong and G-1000 light. This makes it fast drying as well.
The trousers are well-fitting, because of the technical cut with pre-shaped knees.
There are long-ventilation zippers from the hips to the knees, which allow for loss of unnecessary heat, and the legs pockets have a zipper and can be used to store items like maps.
Moreover, the endings of the legs have boot hooks and strap adjustments, which keep them in place and prevent them from riding up. Also, the leg endings and insides of the calves have reinforcements, which provide extra resistance.
44, 46, 48, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58
Dark Olive, Dusk, Sand, Gray
- These trousers are lightweight and cool and allow the legs to breathe
- The boot hooks and strap adjustments prevent riding up
- Seams are not very durable
- Sizes are not very well-fitted
Made from a blend of 65% polyester and 35% cotton, and with the fabric coated with DuPont Teflon, this product is resistant to stains, wrinkles, water, and scratches, and is durable and wear-resistant while being well-fitted.
These pants have over eleven multi-purpose cargo pockets, which are tactical and functional. There are a total of 2 front slash pockets, 2 back hip pockets, 2 back shank pockets with loops and hooks, 1 concealed pocket, and 2 front thigh pockets with hooks and loops. These allow the user to store a number of items.
With 3D tailoring and strengthened part of the knees make the pants more flexible and resistant to wear. The tools can be hung easily with the MOLLE system and hanging loops.
The tactical design makes these pants suitable for use other than hiking. They can be employed in duty work, hunting, casuals, daily wear, military, climbing, and hiking as well.
Product Size: 34W×30L
Product Colour: Dark Green
- The DuPont Teflon coat makes the pants resistant to stains, wrinkles, wear, water
- The pants contain over eleven multi-purpose cargo pockets: ideal for storing items
- The back pockets have clip-one, which can make the pockets open when sitting down
- The Colour is not exactly dark green
The pant legs of these convertible hiking pants can easily be zipped off, to turn the product into hiking shorts. Moreover, the zippers on the ankles allow the person to take them off without removing their boots. This product is UV protective and provides protection of up to UPF 40+ to the legs. Moreover, the quick-drying nature is made possible because of the moisture-wicking technology. The elastic back waist and gusseted crotch allow for flexibility and easy movement. The make is also bug-proof and mosquito-proof.
With up to seven multi-purpose and functional cargo pockets (with zippers), these pants are good enough to keep your small items safe. Moreover, they are quite versatile and are suitable for use in many other areas apart from hiking. This includes their uses is fishing pants and travel pants. The shorts can be used for work, jogging, casual wear, and even in outdoor activities like backpacking, camping, climbing and walking.
30W×32L; 32W×32L; 34W×32L; 36W×32L; 38W×33L; 40W×32L; 42W×32L; 44W×32L; 46W×32L; 48W×32L
Gray, Khaki, Od Green, Charcoal Gray, Olive Green
- These pants are quick-drying and UV protective
- Convertible to shorts
- Bug-proof and mosquito-proof
- The legs are often too baggy
- Finding the right size is difficult
- They are not waterproof
By Jessie Kidden, the fabric composition of these pants is 96% polyester and 4% Spandex, which makes them super flexible and stretchable, and allows for quick drying, and provides breathability. It also makes this product friendly to machine wash. The waist is elastic, making these pants suitable for many different body types while keeping it wrinkle-proof. The classic cargo silhouette, paired with its water-resistant, no fade, and wear-proof nature, and the ripstop fabric and triple-stretch built, makes this product ideal for hiking and other outdoor activities. The UV protection provided by this product is good, with a UPF of 50.
The pant legs are zip-off in type, with zips at the knees, making these pants easily convertible to hiking shorts. This 2-in-1 design also reduces travel load. There are multiple pockets, each with hooks and loops, making it easy to store items. There are two thigh pockets, two slant pockets, and one back pocket. These pants are versatile and can be used for other activities like casual wear, camping, hunting, mountaineering, climbing, etc as well.
29; 30; 32; 34; 36; 38; 40; 42
Army Green; Black; Dark Gray; Khaki
- These pants are convertible to hiking shorts
- Good UV protection with UPF 50
- Spandex makes product flexible and wrinkles proof
- Size may be a little small than stated
- Stretchability is low
Manufactured by Wesporno, these pants come with five zipper pockets, with one back pocket, two front pockets, and two side pockets. All these pockets are big enough to hold items like mobile phones, wallets, cards, keys, and the like.
One unique feature about the design is that it is easy to roll up and fix the pant legs should it become too hot. The ends of the legs carry a shrink loop, which makes rolling up easy. Additionally, the fabric is quick-drying and water-proof. This allows it to be breathable, and for sweat to evaporate easily. The UV protection is also good with UPF 50+.
The waist of these pants is elastic, and comes with a drawstring closure and belt loops, and can be worn with or without belts. Additionally, they are suitable for a number of outdoor activities, from hiking to fishing to daily wear to even travel.
M; XL; XXL
- Excellent UV protection with UPF 50+
- Easily roll up pant legs
- The cut of the pants may not be correct in some pieces
Designed and marketed by Columbia Store, the Omni-Wick technology used in these pants manages moisture very well. The sweat quickly moves from the skin to the fabric, making it easy to evaporate. The Omni-Shade feature provides protection against UVA and UVB radiations and prevents suburbs and long term skin damage. The UV-blocking yarns are tight woven into the fabric, fully blocking out the harmful rays.
These pants are durable and heavy-duty, and are ideal for every weather, from suntop to sundown. The regular, classic fit, paired with the straight leg cut of these pants, is complemented by the articulated knees, with 100% ripstop nylon. This provides a high level of comfort during use. The features are quite handy as well. The exterior belt is adjustable, with partial elastic at the waist. Moreover, there are ample pockets in these pants, which include two front, and two tabbed back pockets, along with two large cargo pockets and a zippered security pocket. These are good enough to hold small items like keys and wallets.
Black; Bluestone; City Gray; Collegiate Navy; Columbia Gray; Dark Mountain; Delta; Fossil; Grill; New Olive; Olive Green; Stone Green; Tusk; Sage; Gray Ash
Apart from being breathable and waterproof, these pants come with a fully seam-sealed shell, complete with a mesh lining. This keeps the wearer comfortable while providing good protection. The Breathability Rating is 1000g/m2/24hr.
Heavy rains and winds are resisted by the DWR finish. The Waterproof Rating is 3000mm. The hips and knees are articulated, providing fluidity of movement. These pants have two thigh pockets with Velcro, and on zippered pocket on the back and two slant pockets. They are versatile enough for activities like mountaineering, hiking, travel, camping, climbing, hunting, riding, and walking.
- Good breathability and protection from rains
- Articulated knees and hips provide fluid movement.
- Available only in one size and color
The stretchable and ripstop fabric is made from nylon and Spandex, which allows it to be lightweight and breathable, and makes sweat and moisture evaporate quickly. This leads to quick-drying and makes these pants suitable for use in summer, fall, or spring. These pants come with four pockets which are fully zippered. One of these pockets is on the right thigh, one on the rear, and two hand pockets. These are suitable for holding small but important items. The fabrics and zippers of these pants are made from a special technology that makes them water-resistant. Apart from hiking, these pants are suitable for other outdoor activities like working, traveling, climbing, and camping.
34; 36; 38; 40
Army Green; Navy; Khaki; Black; Light Gray
- Nylon and Spandex make the fabric ripstop and stretchable
- Four fully zippered pockets: one on the right things; two on the hands; one on the rear
- It may be smaller than the size stated
- Zippers are not of very good quality
Types of Hiking Pants
There are mainly two types (or styles) of hiking pants available on the market, each with its distinct pros and cons, as well as specific situations in which they are to be used. These two types are 1) The Standard Hiking Pants and 2) The Convertible Hiking Pants.
- Standard Hiking Pants: Standard hiking pants are non-convertible, and so, they cannot be made into hiking shorts. They usually possess zippers on the lower part of the pant leg, making it easier to remove the pants without having to remove the boots.
- Convertible Hiking Pants: These hiking pants have the ability to double up as comfortable hiking shorts, and generally have a zipper on the upper portion of the pant leg. This makes it possible for about ⅔ of the pant leg to be zipped off and removed, for getting a pair of nylon-made shorts.
Both of the above-mentioned types have their own sets of benefits over each other, as well as their own sets of drawbacks. The standard Hiking pants are normally much sleeker and better looking than the convertible variety pants since they lack the zipper on the upper portion of the pant leg. In fact, if you don’t look at a minuscule detailing, standard Hiking pants might almost pass for casual wear dress pants. In fact, these pants are also quite light as compared to convertible ones, since there is no need for the extra zipper, as well as the fabric material required to cover it. However, the convertible pants offer much more flexibility and comfort, while allowing the skin to breathe, especially when the temperatures rise, and the weather becomes hot and humid.
The style of hiking pants which is best suited for you depends on where you actually are going to, as well as on any additional requirements you may have from your pants. Say, for example, if you want to use your pants as a casual wear too, then the non-convertible ones are preferred. But if you’re looking for maximum flexibility while you trek, it’s better to opt for convertible hiking pants.
Things to Consider when Buying Hot Weather Hiking Pants
When you’re out looking for the best summer hiking pants in the market, you might do well to keep a few things in mind. Here we look at some important considerations to help you buy the hiking pants that are the most suitable for you:
- Make sure your pants are of high quality: Whenever buying any item, quality is of paramount importance. As hiking can take a serious toll on the make of the pants, choosing a product that has a good quality and is made to last, is always a better choice. Pants made from good quality nylon are much more durable than cheaper ones
- Check if your pants are waterproof: Waterproof pants are costlier and have an extra cost of a membrane that keeps rainwater out while allowing the plant to breathe. Such pants are better for people who intend to go hiking in places where the weather is more humid and rains are frequent.
- Check the waistband of your pants: Most hiking pants come with elastic waistbands, but some products may not contain such waistbands and offer very little flexibility of size and room. Nevertheless, some people prefer non-elastic waistbands, and so, it’s always better to check whether the product you’re thinking of buying contains an elastic waistband or not.
- Check if your hiking pants have a belt attached: Many hiking pants contain an attached belt. This belt may either be permanently attached or maybe detachable on the user’s preference. It’s good to check what type of belt your hiking pants have.
- Check the pockets and pocket size of your pants: Pockets are very important and super useful in a pair of hiking pants. Normally, at least two pockets are always present in every hiking pants. However, many products also contain additional large-sized cargo pockets that can carry loads of items. However, they reduce the visual appeal of the product, which may be an issue for some people.
Frequently Asked Questions
Hiking pants are an essential need for people who often engage in hiking and other outdoor activities. In this review, we tried to give you an insight into some of the best hiking pants available on the market, with detailed descriptions of each product. We also described the specific pros and cons each product has, over others. To help you know what to keep in mind while purchasing hiking pants, and to help you make an informed decision, we have also included a buyer’s guide and discussed the different types of hiking pants available.
Finally, to answer any queries you might have, we have also included a segment about the frequently asked questions associated with hiking pants. Make sure you go through this review before buying your hiking pants, so that you can avail the best value and customer satisfaction, for your money.