Hoverboards are nothing but skateboards without wheels. It is a levitating board which is people use for transportation to short distances and was first described by author M K Joseph in 1967. It is also known as a self-balancing scooter consisting of two motorized wheels which are connected to a pair of articulated pads where the rider places his/her feet on.
Hoverboards come in different sizes ranging from small to slightly larger. Most hoverboard devices come in diameter sizes of 6.5 inches (170mm), 8 inches (200mm) and 10 inches (250mm), etc. These variants are attached to a self-balancing control mechanism which is powered using a built-in gyroscopic and sensor pad.
The speed of the hoverboard can be controlled by the rider by leaning forwards or backward which increases and decreases the speed respectively, and the direction of the hoverboard can be controlled by twisting the pads accordingly. The speeds at which the hoverboard travels range from 6-15 miles per hour (9.7 to 24 km/hr) with a range of up to 12 miles (19km) depending upon the model, terrain of the floor, rider’s weight and other various factors.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission has been getting many cases regarding hoverboard related injuries being treated in various emergency departments around the country. Some injuries include fractures, concussions, sprains, and lacerations, etc. Just as how safety gear is used for most vehicles, it is important for the rider to wear proper safety gear while commuting via a hoverboard and this has been recommended by Consumer Reports.
Some tips for you to consider improving or inducing safety while using a hoverboard –
- Make sure you supervise your children while they’re riding a hoverboard. You can provide a spotter when your child is riding one. In the case of skateboards, their speed can be increased depending upon the rider while the speed of the hoverboard can be increased irrespective of the skills of the rider.
- Make sure your child wears protective gear such as helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, and wrist guards, etc.
- Make sure your child stays out of traffic and other regions prone to any kind of traffic
- Make sure you don’t leave the hoverboard charging overnight or without supervision. Sometimes overcharging can risk your hoverboard to catch fire and end up causing harm.
- Make sure your child doesn’t get on the hoverboard by themselves. Help them to get on or else they might hurt themselves by falling.
All things kept aside, hoverboards make a great gift for people irrespective of their age and can be gifted anytime irrespective of the festival. In this article we’ll be covering things you should consider before buying a hoverboard, 5 Best hoverboards under $200 which may be cheap in terms of money but they do provide utmost performance and are standard in terms of quality and durability and we’ll be ending with some frequently asked questions in case you have some troubleshooting with your hoverboard.
- 1 Top Hoverboards Under 200 For The Money
- 2 Best Hoverboards Under $200 Reviews
- 2.1 #1 Hoverboard UL 2272 Certified Light Self Balancing Wheel Electric Scooter
- 2.2 #2 Swagtron Swagboard Vibe T580 Hoverboard
- 2.3 #3 HYPER GOGO Hoverboards
- 2.4 #4 CHO Electric Self Balancing Dual Motors Scooter Hoverboard
- 2.5 #5 NHT 6.5 inch Aurora Hoverboard
- 3 Things to Consider Before Buying Best Hoverboard Under 200
- 4 Features to Look for While Buying Best Hoverboard for Money
- 5 FAQ’s
- 6 Conclusion
- 7 Hoverboards can be quite pricey although they’re a lot of fun and pretty useful to cover up short distances. Don’t forget to abide by the safety standards and wear proper gear while you’re heading out for a stroll. Also, make sure that the hoverboard you’re buying has a UL 2722 certification, or else you’ll have to bear the risk of damage in case anything happens. We hope you would have gotten a little insight regarding the hoverboards. Happy Strolling!
Top Hoverboards Under 200 For The Money
Best Hoverboards Under $200 Reviews
This high-quality hoverboard will keep your kids zipping on it from morning to night and be their favorite gift all throughout Christmas till next year’s Thanksgiving. This hoverboard comes with pretty LED Lights that illuminate the surroundings and are very pleasing to look at. It also comes with inbuilt Bluetooth speakers that you can connect your favorite tunes to and hum while you’re on the go.
- Charging it is a breeze
- Syncing Bluetooth is very easy
- The battery lasts 3 days after fully charged
- Easy to operate and master
- Comes in poppy colors
- Speakers are super loud which is nice
- Has pretty flashy lights
- Scratches pretty easily
- Doesn’t provide a premium look because of the metallic body
- Once you plug it in for the charge you have to set a timer all the time which can get a little annoying sometimes
With the help of the app, you can keep track of the speed, monitor battery life and even choose between various modes. There are two modes you can choose from, a) standard mode which is designed for intermediate riders and b) special in-app advanced mode which is designed for master riders for providing high speeds. This app also provides a map feature which helps you to track your hoverboard by letting you know where you have been and how far you have gone enabling more safety for you and your children. The Swagtron is also enabled with Bluetooth speakers for you to groove while you’re on the move.
- Can easily get the hang of it
- The tire is made of hard rubber providing more traction
- With the help of smart self-balancing, it improves stabilization
- Charging time is roughly 90-100 minutes
- Has a good speaker – allows you to listen in noisy environments also
- Hoverboard runs smoothly on hard terrains like grass fields, uphill and paved roads etc.
- Users have reported a shaking or grinding noise after some uses
- Flimsy charger port
- Poor battery life
If you’re looking for something big, sturdy and great in the look department then the GOGO is good to go. It has an 8.5-inch wheel diameter with dual motor and dual independent gyros so that you can have a safe journey, explore or adventure. It’s a large platform and tires will make sure you get on and off without falling off and have a smooth glide as well. It is also equipped with a built-in Bluetooth speaker and LED lights.
- User-friendly dynamic
- Bright and energy efficient headlights
- Quick charge
- Doesn’t overheat
- Long-lasting battery
- Durable and sturdy
- Premium look
- Heavy to carry
The high intensity LED headlights equipped in this hoverboard will ensure that you have the safest ride during the night and will allow you to ride anytime anywhere. It’s easy to balance and easier to learn how to work it. This product is pretty reasonable in terms of price and quality and the models are bigger, brighter, and faster than other alternatives. This hoverboard comes with very little delay in response time as the motor drive is very precise when moving forward and backward.
- Premium sound quality from the stereo speaker
- The company has amazing customer service
- Has a heavy and sturdy built
- Tilts down when off
- Ease of use
- Delay in response time
- Speaker isn’t that loud
- The On and Off sounds are pretty loud and can get annoying some times
- Directions can get a little difficult to follow
This hoverboard provides is worth more than what you’ve paid for. It gives you optimum stability with the help of dual motors that it’s equipped with. You also get a 90-day warranty with this product and you’ll have no problems in returning it right away in case there are any problems faced right after you unbox. Embedded with LED lights that’ll provide you the safest travel during the night and this scooter can go up to 10 mph of speed. You can also cover up to 7.5 miles after a charge.
- Sturdy and durable
- Eye-catching light enabled design
- Well built
- Meets safety standards
- Attractive design
- Bluetooth enabled
- Connects to all platforms
- Doesn’t provide much speed
- Lights won’t turn off
- Speakers are too loud