- 1 How To Waterproof A Tent?
- 2 Know How To Waterproof An Old Tent In Cheap
- 3 Waterproof A Tent in Cheap Using Seam Sealers
- 4 Top 3 Best Seam Sealer To Waterproof A Tent
- 5 Waterproof A Tent Using Waterproof Sprays (DWR Coatings)
- 6 Top 3 Best Waterproof Spray | Tent Waterproofing Spray Review
- 7 Know How To Waterproof A Tent With A Tarp
- 8 Top 3 Best Tarp & Footprints | Tarp Review
How To Waterproof A Tent?
Isn’t it a shame when you need to reschedule your plans just because it starts to rain? Those camping gears you have been keeping in order, the campfires you planned with your loved ones surrounded by the wonderful nature and all that stuff, just plain ruined because of some water!
If you are well aware of the weather conditions and bought yourself a best waterproof tent, you don’t need to worry about your trip but if you don’t own one then you might need to make some remedies to waterproof a tent. Still, the ones that are waterproof will work perfectly for a while and then the waterproofing coating starts to wear away and ultimately will require waterproofing solutions unless otherwise, you decide to go for a new tent.
Well, buckle up, because we have brought you some amazing tried and tested methods to waterproof your tent at the ease of your home. You just need to follow certain steps for waterproofing so that you don’t have any problems when you go camping.
Know How To Waterproof An Old Tent In Cheap
- Seam Sealers
- Waterproof Sprays
- Tarp & Footprints
These three are the best tent waterproofing methods which are commonly used and are easy to understand. You don’t have to worry about the hassles of various things going out of control. These methods are pretty easy to follow once you get the grip of it, and once it’s done, you will not wake up feeling damp and cold in the morning.
Top 3 Best Seam Sealer To Waterproof A Tent
Don’t let the water drops hit you and your family out there in the woods during rains and ruin the whole trip and the whole experience for everybody. Therefore, here are the top three seam sealers you can choose from to waterproof a tent.
|S. No.||Product Name||Check Price|
|1||Gear Aid Seam Grip WP Waterproof Sealant and Adhesive |
|2||Gear Aid Sil Net Silicone Seam Sealer|
|3|| Coleman Seam Sealer|
The Seal seams and repair holes in tents, tarps, awnings and camping gear with a waterproofing technique that flexes with the tent fabric and stays for a long time to give your tent an extended life. It can be used on all kinds of fabric and it seems to moisture cures all seams. One of the best seam sealers available in market to waterproof a tent.
P.S – Use the product on the tent in a humid surrounding like in a hot shower to arrest all the drips.
- Seal seams and repair holes in tents, tarps, awnings and camping gear like Thermarest sleeping pads
- The waterproof formula dries overnight to a permanent rubber seal that flexes with fabric and won’t peel or crack over time
- A one-ounce tube seals up to 12’ of seams; includes two applicator brushes for both sealing and repairing fabric
- Bonds permanently to outdoor fabrics including nylon, polyester, canvas, and vinyl
- Packaging may vary
- Urethane-based seam sealer and repair adhesive for permanently sealing seams and repairing rips, tears and holes in outdoor gear
- Self-leveling, moisture cure adhesive works on all types of fabrics and surfaces, including neoprene, PVC, rubber, and leather.
- Flexible, waterproof formula seals tent seams, patches holes, and is unaffected by extreme cold or heat.
- Safe for use on natural and synthetic fabrics; provides excellent adhesion and abrasion resistance
- Good flow from the bottle that grips seams and fabric well.
- A 100% waterproof seam
- Stays for a long time
- Reasonable price
- Flexible with almost all fabrics
- Messy to apply
- Looks a bit tacky on the final application
- Takes a lot of time to dry
This seam sealer is mainly used for silicone treated products or silnylon fabrics. It works perfectly in just one application and seals the seams, even small rips or tears. If you have a silicone-based tent that required sealing the seams and can’t find the right sealer for such a fabric, this product is highly recommended.
P.S – Apply some talcum powder after drying of the sealer to make it look less sloppy.
- Durable – Tough silicone rubber adhesive bonds permanently to silicone-treated fabrics
- Flexible – Once cured, it’s an elastic seal that flexes and stretches with gear
- Waterproof – Provides a water-tight seal that won’t peel or crack over time
- Weather-Resistant – Long-lasting sealant is not affected by extreme heat or cold
- Packaging may vary
- Silicone seam sealer for Ultra-light Silnylon backpacking tents; seal critical seams in one application
- 1-1/2 oz. tube seals critical seams on most ultralight two-person tents.
- Use on silicone-treated tarps, shelters, backpacks and rainwear to keep water out.
- Permanent placement is unaffected by extreme heat or cold but can be removed with mineral spirits
- Works best on silicone-based material
- Also, durable and holds the seams well
- Does not drip
- Soaks into the seam with right viscosity
- Requires thinning before application
- Appears slick after drying
It is a waterproof seam sealer that works it magic on tents, tarps, backpacks and more that comes in a bottle form with foam applicator pad. Its urethane formula helps the product is drying up faster than other non-urethane products. After application of the coating, it can appear a bit messy when dried but that does go away after a while. But overall it is a good product to use and apply within a reasonable price range.
- Waterproofs seams on tents, tarps, backpacks and more
- 2-oz. bottle with foam applicator pad
- No mixing required
- Fast-drying water-based urethane formula
- Quite reasonable in price
- Durable sealer that protects any leaks
- Easy to use applicator pad
- Dries quickly
- Looks messy after application
- The tip of the bottle keeps coming off
Top 3 Best Waterproof Spray | Tent Waterproofing Spray Review
We have found out the best three waterproof sprays and reviewed them to help you make a rational choice for buying such a product so that you are always prepared for any uncertainty that follows.
|1||Scotchgard Outdoor Water Shield Waterproof Spray|
|2||Nikwax Tent & Gear Solar Proof Waterproofing Spray|
|3|| Kiwi Camp Dry Heavy-Duty Water Repellent Spray|
This waterproof spray is bundled with 2-Pack Scotchgard Outdoor Water Shield and is a multipurpose spray that can be used not only for your tent but also on any fabric in your house that needs waterproofing like coats, furniture fabric and can be used on all synthetic outerwear and apparels, etc.
It helps your material to repel water and keeps it dry for a long period of time. If the coating starts to fade after a while, you can spray it again over the fabric in the same manner as mentioned above to extend the life of your tent.
- Bundle includes 2-Pack Scotchgard Outdoor Water Shield, 10.5-Ounce
- One coat coverage
- Maintains fabric breathability
- Repels moisture during use and in storage
- Dries quickly
- It gives one coat coverage to the tent fabric.
- Maintains breathability even after spraying.
- It dries quickly.
- The tent can be easily folded back after the spray dries off.
- It is easy to apply.
- Best Spray To Waterproof A Tent
- The best tent waterproofing product
- Does not work properly on leather products.
- A strong chemical spray odor.
- The packaging is a little disappointing.
This product restores and adds water repellency to different fabrics while giving it an extra edge of UV protection to prevent the fabric from any sun damage and also doubling the lifespan of your gear. It is a spray-on application that works great on tents, backpacks, awnings, boat covers, patio furniture, etc.
Nikwax Tent and Gear spray will maintain the breathable performance of gear, preventing moisture build-up on the inside of gear that will keep you dry all along the trip.
- Restores and adds water repellency to weather-proof fabrics
- Adds UV protection to prevent sun damage and double the lifespan of gear; works best after application of Nikwax Tent & Gear Solarwash
- Spray-on application
- Great for use on tents, flys, backpacks, awnings, boat covers, patio furniture, and panniers
- Water based, biodegradable, and contains no PFCs, VOCs, optical brighteners, or added scent
- It also cleans your gear.
- An added advantage of UV protection that increases the life of the gear.
- Easy application
- Applying too much spray can cause messiness
- Does not apply to the tent that is already waterproof (if you planning to reduce the UV damage)
It is a heavy-duty spray that can be used on many types of fabric to make it waterproof. It has a negligible odor after it dries up and is easy to apply. The spray has a strong chemical smell when applied and will leave the shape of whatever item you spray on the surface. Just like the other two products it applies in one coating, sometimes two and has no hassles in the application.
- Ideal for tents, tarps, boots, hunting apparel, outdoor gear, boat covers, and patio furniture.
- Keeps water out, allows material to breathe.
- Silicone bonds to leather/fabric to create an extremely tough water barrier, while still allowing the article to breathe.
- Treated material stays odor free after drying.
- Contains silicone.
- Heavy duty product
- Quantity for price
- Can also be used on nylon and synthetic fabric
- Strong smell from the product on application
- Sometimes you need to apply the coating twice for best results
Top 3 Best Tarp & Footprints | Tarp Review
You can buy some really good tent footprint/tarp for various models of tents in order to waterproof a tent. These enable you to protect the bottom as well as the top of the tent, and can help with pitching your tent as you place the footprint or tarp where you want the tent prior to pitching, which helps get the location right. We have found three of the best brands to help you make a rational decision before investing.
|S. No.||Product||Check Price|
|1||OUTAD Waterproof Camping Tarp||
|2||Outry Waterproof Multi-Purpose Tarp - Tent Stakes|
|3|| Vigor Hammock Rain Fly, Waterproof Tent Tarp |
The material of the tarp is made up of high-density Oxford fabric that makes the product waterproof. It comes in three sizes, that are small, medium and large depending on the size of your tent. The mat is easy to carry around in the camping gear that also includes a drawstring bag and can be used as a tent footprint, picnic mat, and for camping.
- Material: high density 210D Oxford fabric construction makes it waterproof.
- Folded dimensions: Small (6.3 x 4 x 0.8 inches), Medium (8.3 x 5.5 x 0.8 inches), Large (6.3 x 8.7 x 0.8 inches).
- Unfolded dimensions: Small (59 x 87 inches), Medium (71 x 87 inches), Large (94 x 87 inches).
- Portable: The mat is easy to carry with the included drawstring bag. Weight: Small (11 ounces), Medium (13.4 ounces), Large(17 ounces)
- Tarp can be used as tent footprint, picnic mat, and for camping.
- Easy to carry
- It is a multipurpose tarp (used as a footprint, picnic mat or for camping purposes)
- Comes in different colors
- Holds up firmly against the tent
- It is a little slippery.
- The grommets are small and less in number.
- The material is thick.
This tarp is also made from Oxford fabric making it ripstop and waterproof and comes with a bag to hold the product. It can be used as a tent footprint, hammock rain fly, picnic mat, ground cover etc. therefore increasing the purposes of the tarp.
The material is thinner than the above product because it is made from tent material rather than the actual tarp material but is pretty strong on the outside. This Tarp is best in order to waterproof a tent.
- 210D oxford fabric makes it RIPSTOP and WATERPROOF.
- 6 Grommets in size M/L and 4 in size S, each hole is 8mm in diameter.
- Folded size and weight: S-(6.7″ x 4.7″ x 1.6″, 12.7oz), M-(8.3″ x 5.5″ x 2″, 16.6oz), L-(8.3″ x 6.3″ x 2.8″, 20oz).
- Stuff sack and tent stakes(consist with grommets’ quantity) are included.
- Can be used as tent footprints, hammock rain fly, picnic mat, ground cover etc.
- Thinner fabric than the last product
- Easy to fold and carry
- Dries up faster than most products
- Comes with extra tarp hardware
- The material can lose its durability when exposed to direct sunlight
- The tarp grommets are weak
- The tarp bag is smaller than expected
The tarp is not made of cheap plastic but comes with six Reflective Guylines with tensioners and four Trigonal Stakes, with the four corners and the two wings applying double materials and enhanced nylon ribbon, that further ensures the durability of the tarp.
The whole product is easy to carry around making your trip pleasant. In addition to being waterproof, the product also provides sunshade as well as snow shade. It is also a multipurpose tarp that can provide a number of experiences.
- THE STRONG RIPSTOP MATERIAL AND WORKMANSHIP–Vigor camping tarp is NOT a cheap plastic, come with six Reflective Guylines with tensioners and four Trigonal Stakes, the four corners and the two wings apply the double materials and enhanced nylon ribbon, this further ensures the durability of Vigor tarp. The bilateral swallow-tailed design can ensure the good ventilation.
- 1.6LB LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE — Vigor professional rain fly is really lightweight, approximately 1.6lb, entire package equal to a glass of water’s weight. it is convenient to fold and take in trips, make your trip easier and pleasant.
- EXCELLENT SUN AND SNOW PROTECTION AND WATERPROOF –Vigor is made of 210T ripstop parachute nylon fabric. waterproof up to PU2000mm. Not only a water-repellent rain fly, but also a great sunshade/snowshade. Even in the varying weather conditions, Vigor can provide the perfect protection.
- LARGE SIZE AND IDEAL FOR MULTI-PURPOSE — Come with a brochure to show you how to set up the tarp for various purposes. Vigor camping tarp has 10 x 10ft large size, which can provide ample space for your hammock or tent. It also can be used as the car shelter, or shelter your equipment, clothes, pets or grains.
- Stainless alloy eyelets
- Provides snow shade as well as a sunshade
- Comes with a brochure as to how to set up the tarp for various purposes
- You get a free replacement of the product within three years of purchase
- A little heavier than other products
- The tarp grommets are weak
- Tarp sizes are not apt
As a person who is always ready for any mishaps and proactive in nature, you probably would have checked the weather before going on the trip but you can never be certain of the forecast. Any sudden changes in the weather will just ruin the whole trip.
Hence, using waterproofing solutions is not a big deal and is quite a simple technique when you get into it. With proper precautions and measure and various methods to do the job, you can ensure your tent to be dry on the many trips to come in the future.
This is all about How To Waterproof A Tent In Cheap, do share your feedback in comments about the blog.